Thursday, August 23, 2012

Submerged by Dani Pettrey

Score One for Alaskan Courage

A sabotaged flight. Two murdered divers. A single clue—a grainy image of sunken treasure.

Baily Craig vowed never to set foot in Yancey, Alaska, again.  She has a past, and a reputation-and Yancey's a town that doesn't forget.  She's returned only to bury a loved one killed in the plane crash, but then dark evidence emerges and Bailey's expertise becomes invaluable for the case.

 
I picked this book to review because of the description, and because it was the first book in a series.  This was a plus for me because I keep choosing books that are middle or end books in series, which usually ends up costing me money. :-)
 
When I got the book, I saw the endorsement from Dee Henderson on the front cover and was intrigued. 
 
After I read the book I was hooked. 
 
For most people, when you read this book, I think you will see a little similarity to Dee's style of writing.  Maybe it's just the same type of genre, mystery, action, fiction, and solid Christian faith.  It could also be because Dani Pettrey has been mentored by Dee Henderson.  (She is mentioned in the acknowledgements at the end.)
 
There were some parts of this book that were a little predictable, but I think that is something she will work out in time.  There were also quite a few times that I actually got a little caught up in the secondary characters and wondering where their stories would go.  I have ideas in my mind, and I can't wait to see if Ms. Pettrey will go in the same direction.
 
The book had a solid plot and good detail.  I loved the historical story woven throughout.  I felt for the character as she dealt with the past and her the after-effects of her choices.  The underlying theme of God's grace and redemption woven throughout the story show how it's not God who can't forgive, it's we as people who can't forgive ourselves.
 
All in all, I think this is a good solid book and definitely recommend that you put it on your TBR list.
 
As a follow-up the second book in the series will be out in February 2013.
 
 
This book was provided to me free of charge by Bethany House Book Reviews.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment