Monday, September 27, 2010

Book Review - Beguiled by DeeAnne Gist & J. Mark Bertrand

From the picture on the front cover, I thought I was getting ready to read a story set in the 1920's or 1930's set in Charleston. I know, I know, if only I had read the back cover, I would have known, but very rarely do I read back covers preferring rather to be surprised by the story. Surprised is a pretty accurate term when I started reading about Rylee Monroe as she unclipped a leash from a dog collar. Wait, this story is about a dog walker? Did they have dog walkers in the 1920's. As I kept reading, my dog walker had roller blades, so I finally figured out it was set in present day.

The story is set in a wealthy neighborhood in Charleston, South Carolina. Rylee Monroe is a sweet, caring dogwalker who's only ambition is to make sure the needs of her ailing grandmother are met. She surrounds herself with her family of dogs and is quite content until she becomes unintentionally involved in a string of robberies committed by an unusual burglar. Who the burglar is and why he/she is doing what they're doing is the premise of the book, and just where does the mysterious newspaper reporter, Logan Woods fit into the whole picture.

I must say that this book had me guessing a couple of times, which is a good thing and most books are not able to do. I have to say, though, my favorite part of the book was the Authors' note at the end. It was very charming and actually made me want to visit Charleston even more than the book did.

I would highly recommend this book. I am looking forward to reading more books from each of these authors individually and hope they will collaborate again.

This book was provided to me to review by Bethany House Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment